Thursday, November 17, 2016

Nov. 18th Blog Post

           For me, tea has an indispensable meaning in my life. A day without a cup of homemade hot tea is incomplete in my opinion. In my days at Emory, a few types of tea that I frequently drink are French Earl Grey, Danchong Oolong, and Jasmine Green Tea. A cup of hot tea offers me a sense of peace and relaxation. A sip of the tea has its magic power to freeze the time and filter undesirable noises. A tea break for me is just as how Marcel Proust wrote in Remembrance of Things Past.

An exquisite pleasure had invaded my senses, something isolated, detached, with no suggestion of its origin. And at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me, its disasters innocuous, its brevity illusory - this new sensation having had on me the effect which love has of filling me with a precious essence; or rather this essence was not in me it was me. I had ceased now to feel mediocre, contingent, mortal. Whence could it have come to me, this all-powerful joy? I sensed that it was connected with the taste of the tea and the cake, but that it infinitely transcended those savours, could, no, indeed, be of the same nature. Whence did it come? What did it mean? How could I seize and apprehend it?

         While drinking tea, sometimes accompany with cookies or small pastries, I become indifferent to all stresses, anxieties, and worries. It is a time for withdrawal from the complex and sometimes vicious world, an escape from an overwhelming amount of workloads, and a getaway to pick up what I treasure but lost in the course of daily routines. No wonder why British people are so passionate and devoted to their afternoon tea tradition. I think, perhaps in a busy workday, a cup of British tea with delicate pastries brings them a transient but soothing joy and helps them to maintain positive mentality as well as high efficiency at work.
         I don't know and had never try to discover why tea can bring me this kind of sense and feeling. Proust went into the abyss of humanity and mentality to explore the deepest connection between tea, madeleine, and consciousness. However, for me, I would say I don't care. I think, a cup of hot tea offering a sense of relaxation is great enough, so why trouble ourselves and expend time to investigate the complicated questions which require mental effort and counteract the effect of a wonderful cup of tea brings.

1 comment:

  1. I see a couple of grammatical errors, but good job.

    As for the last paragraph, perhaps consider that for the narrator of Proust's novel, the main focus is not the tea, but in fact the process of remembering/exploring the difficulties of memory. This focus might stop the narrator from experiencing the relaxing aspects of drinking tea.

    Grade: Check

    ReplyDelete